Sunday, January 21, 2007

What is it about me and toast?

I don't know if it's tensions from the lack of nicotine or something darker and more sinister. On the morning in question, I woke up (after the third snooze hit) and L is asking me if we should fly or drive to PA for her cousin's wedding. To say I'm not a morning person is a gross understatement. Just arousing from slumber is not the time to badger me with questions that I will be held accountable for later. Up until that moment, we had planned to drive there at a leisurely pace and visit some sites along the way. I tell her that it's cool no matter what we do. Then she goes off on me for not being more active in our trip planning and I must not really want to drive or I would argue otherwise. And if I don't care about what we do, why even bother going? Now, we all have moments with loved ones where we absolutely want to shove our fists in each others faces. Lets just say that I had a one balled up under the blanket ready to go. Not wanting to escalate the fight any further and needing to swap the radiator in her car before I go to work, I get up and start the coffee. While I'm fumbling around in the kitchen, she (still in bed) starts rambling on about how I don't care about anything and how lazy I am and I don't do anything around the house. I silently go about my business avoiding saying anything in return. I know I'm lazy, but bringing that into the fold on a day where I'm repairing her car before I go work for ten hours doesn't sit all that well on my pallet. To top things off, I did five loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and worked on the bus for eight hours the previous day. But I'm a reasonably intelligent person and I know this fight has nothing to do with my laziness. There is some other issue that is at the core of this tirade. Eventually she quiets down and I assume she may have dozed back off. I make some PB&J on toast and stand in the kitchen eating it. From the bedroom she yells, "Where's my toast! You're not even going to offer me some?" I start to recognize this as one of those times where I can do no right. I've resigned myself to the thought that, no matter what I do or say, at this point, it will only make things worse. I grit my teeth and wait for the next volley of incoherent woman babble that's going to fly out of her lips. "Don't you love me anymore?" She asks, "Don't you care enough to offer me toast?" I feebly try to mutter something about how I thought she fell back to sleep and didn't want to wake her. "Just forget it," she snapped at me and rolled back over in bed. So I did as she asked and went into the garage to replace the radiator.

So what's the moral of this story you ask? There really isn't much of a lesson here. I just wanted to show that it's not all fun and games in the geek household. We have a good marriage but nothing is all good all of the time. The only thing that I regretted was that we didn't work it out before I left the house. I was stewing about it all day at work. She apologized later and blamed it on PMS. I suppose I was also reminded that toast seems to be the catalyst for events in my life and I should avoid it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

(laughing) That was brilliant. And on behalf of women everywhere, I'm sorry we sometimes are like that. Either way, well played, my friend. Well played.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online