Sunday, January 14, 2007

I'm for Natural Selection.

There are some stupid people out there. Nature wants to thin the herd but we've progressed to a point where we protect the ludicrously stupid.

Example one:

Driving to the gym the other night, I'm rolling around a slow curve near my town square (think Back to The Future complete with broken clock tower) and a dude on a bike whips out of a side street coming from my left. I see him but only because he has a single amber reflector on his front wheel (which can only be see from the side). I stomp all over my brakes to keep from running him over as he makes his turn ultra wide and crosses the double yellow lines into my lane. After which he settles on the opposite side of the street riding, in the center of that lane, toward oncoming traffic. His bike is a navy color. He's wearing dark jeans and a black windbreaker with a beanie cap that's also black. I accelerate to pass him as I mutter obscenities under my breath. But wait! There's more! No sooner did I stomp on the gas, when he decides to swing back into my lane crossing from left to right and missing the right front quarter of my car by inches as I accelerated. He never even looked to see if he could make the turn or cross the street. His life was spared by a single reflector. In the dark recesses of the evil side of my brain, I wish I hadn't seen the reflective plastic.

Example two:

An airliner landed the other day with a frozen and semi-crushed dude in the wheel well of the landing gear. Ummm...What would make a person think that they could survive a flight in the wheel well of an airliner? Lets gloss over the fact that you aren't likely to survive the gear coming up and move on to the cold hard facts. For every thousand feet of altitude the temperature drops about two degrees Celsius. 80 degrees Fahrenheit equals 27 degrees Celsius. Your typical airliner travels at 35,000 ft. So if it's 27 degrees Celsius on the ground it's -43 at 35,000 ft. Can you say meatsicle? If you're suicidal just spare us the aggravation of airline delays and jump off a cliff or something.

Example three:

George W. Bush.

I rest my case.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Recently some blind man, wanting to get to wherever he was going in a hurry, decided he'd get there quicker by taking a shortcut. His shortcut was an interstate during afternoon rush hour...he tried to run across it....needless to say he was struck by a car. Duh! What a ding-dong.......thankfully he survived, but come on. I guess he was blind and stupid!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

OH don't worry, I'm sure someone else did NOT see that one reflector and creamed him. It's a happy thought, no? Stupid people annoy the crap out of me - in my book, they choose to be stupid. Dumb is a whole 'nother story. Those poor people were just born that way. yeah, I heard about that airplane popsicle guy. Seems to happen a lot??

1:30 PM  
Blogger Glenn said...

I also completely forgot to hit on the lack of oxygen at 35K. Most people are only good to about 12.5K before they start getting light headed.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online