Sunday, August 05, 2007

Honey, you probably shouldn't...

So L and I are trying to get on top of our gym habits. We're also trying to drop a few pounds. Typically what happens to us on an annual basis is that we lose weight in the summer and pack it on during the winter. As we get older, it gets more difficult to shed our winter... insulation, so we've been trying to watch our diets as well. This summer we haven't done well in losing our winter weight. I've been making the effort and watching my caloric intake and so has L but there is one big difference between the two of us. She loves her sugar. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff too, but I tend to enjoy my meals more than dessert. Which brings me to the point and this weeks question of the week.

How do you tell a woman that's sitting down in front of the TV with a bag of Oreos that it's probably not a good idea to eat the whole thing?

I personally never say anything anymore because, in thirty four years of life, I can't come up with a tactful way to do it. I realise sometimes we all need to self-medicate with some good old fashioned gluttony but I know that she's going to hate herself later for doing it. With my guy friends it would be easy. Something like... "Damn dude! I can hear you getting fatter." So is it possible to tell a woman that she might be making herself fat without setting off a nuclear estrogen bomb?

For the those of you (women) who are thinking that I'm a superficial pig (typical man), I would like you to know I still find L as sexy as ever and don't consider her fat by any stretch of the imagination.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger jayfish said...

i say ditch the big bag of cookies and get the 100 calorie packs. it sucks for environmental "too much packaging" thing. but portioning things out might be the way to go?

are you guys conscious of your caloric intake?

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

You say she's still sexy to you, and you say she's by no means fat.......so why say anything? She's a smart girl, and I'm sure she knows that over eating will make her fat.

7:33 PM  
Blogger zerodoll said...

to echo jane, if she's not interested in eating less, there's no point (and a whole lotta reason not to) say anything. but if she's also trying to lose the winter insulation, the 100 calorie pack thing might be a good approach. or lead by example during dinner, like "maybe i don't need seconds, i'm trying to watch what i'm eating..." type thing. very delicate issue, indeed!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Trust me when I say she knows sitting there with a bag of Oreos is a bad idea. A very, very, very bad idea. If someone pointed this out to me, I'd likely take an Oreo, shove it up his left nostril and pull it ou his right ear.

In other words, let her go through her motions. When she's ready to make a change, she will.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I don't think there's any good way to say it. She will it take the wrong way, no matter what. It's the way we're programmed. She knows she shouldn't be eating it, but there's something making her eat them at that point (hormones, emotions, boredom, etc.) and sometimes we just need to be gluttonous.

That said, you could say, "Hey, share those" (or some variation thereof). It might be enough to make her pause w/o saying anything offensive.

9:25 AM  
Blogger BOB13 said...

I think the best way to approach this is to lead by example. Maybe you working out and eating healthy food will inspire/guilt trip her into doing the same. Then, when you're both exercising and eating well, those nights when you want to indulge will be soooo much more satisfying. Take it from a guy with an affinity for chocolate shakes and candy.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what should go down, the next time you see her in the same position: Walk up to her, forcefully rip the bag of deliciousness off of her lap, and say "Dude, (yes, call her dude), I thought we were in this together. Lets go do something."

There shouldn't be any oreos in the house anyway.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online