Tuesday, July 31, 2007

National Air and Space Museum

This last weekend I was up in DC to visit the NASM. I went with dad and my brother D who flew in from Seattle and drove up with us. We had a great time and I took over 160 pictures.

This is the entrance to the larger of the two museums. It houses a large collection of aircraft, many of which are the only ones left in existence. This is the "Enola Gay" it's the actual plane that dropped the first atomic bomb. It is completely restored. We went on a guided tour and I was surprised that most of the planes in the museum are actually flyable. Just add gas and the things should fire right up. I have mixed feelings about this plane. On the one hand, it ended WWII. On the other, it marked the the beginning of a world of fear.
This little Grumman "Gulfhawk" was the predecessor to one of the first operational carrier fighter fighters in WWII, the Grumman "Wildcat". As a matter of fact, It's virtually identical to its carrier brethren but has two wings (aka biplane).
Here we have one of my favorite pics from the trip. Two legends of flight. In the foreground is "Spirit of St. Louis" The first plane to cross the Atlantic on a solo mission with Charles Lindbergh at the controls. In the background is "SpaceShipOne". It is the first privately operated manned spacecraft to ever leave earth and return. Twice.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger jayfish said...

when z and i were there, it was way too crowded to even walk through. looks like you guys had fun though!

...did you fix the toilet yet?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I've been there! I had the same feelings re: the Enola Gay.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Shell said...

I went there about 13 years ago it was great for me I am a aerospace geek.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online