Sunday, September 17, 2006

The wrong reaction.

L calls me the yesterday and says "I may be pregnant." like a typical man I completely give the wrong response. "Oh crap." were my exact words. Definitely not what she wanted to hear and not how I really felt. We've been kicking around the kid thing again. I can tell that she is having biological clock issues. She has been dropping hints and pointing out particularly cute little ones in our daily travels. In spite of my years of mortal fear of having a kid, not because I don't want any but because of all the things that can go wrong, I was surprisingly calm at the idea of having a child. After my fumbled attempts at recovering from my verbal misstep I hung up the phone and sat in silence for a while. I wasn't scared. There was no fear whatsoever. I felt a warmth growing inside of me at the prospect of being a dad. Maybe I'm ready. Maybe it's time. I have plenty to offer a child. I would be more involved in its life than either my real father or my step father. I'm capable of sharing my love with a little one. Maybe there is a need for me to impart what knowledge I've obtained in my life to a kid. L and I had a long discussion when I got home. I made her understand that my phone reaction was just an verbal stupidity and not my true feelings. It turns out that the pregnancy was a false alarm, but today my life has a whole new perspective. Nothing is written in stone yet but we're thinking of having a go at this parent stuff.

Question of the week:

Based on what you've read here in my blog, does the thought of me with offspring make you weep for the future? Be honest. I can take it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

All of the passion you feel for you cars, and airplanes will never compare with what you will feel for your child. This I promise.

You'll be as good a parent as you choose to be....and I think you'll be a good one!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn, I have no doubt whatsoever you'd be a great dad. If you're as honest with your kid as you've been on your blog you'll be alright. And if you're as helpful and supportive with your kid as you've been with me--someone you've never met before--your kid will be in good hands. Hopefully you won't pass on the procrastination gene...although I wouldn't count on it.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I think you'll be a great dad...I haven't read ia couple of days but am catching up. :)

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online