Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lazy grease monkey wannabe

I've been slacking again. No entries for almost a week. I spent the last three days sleeping in and spending all my other time locked in the garage working on my dune buggy. My time working on my fun machine seems to give me purpose in an otherwise dull spot in my life. I actually enjoy working with my hands. Getting down and dirty is fun for me. I will say the results seem to come way too slow. I expected to be driving the thing by now but it doesn't have wheels, axles, an engine, or even a body. When I'm done, it should look to be almost show quality until I roll down my driveway to the dirt road in front of my house. It will never be a show winner.

I went to a VW show a week or so ago. I saw a bunch of cool cars there and I was in awe of the quality of workmanship on some of them. On the way home, I passed ten cars that were at the show. Eight of them were on trailers. What a waste. You spend years building this beautiful car and then you tow it around everywhere you go because you don't want it to get messy. Lame! So you have a trophy... Big deal! You can put it on your garage shelf and polish it every time you wax your car before you load it up on the trailer to take it to another show. Cars are for driving. If you want art, take a picture and hang it on your wall.

I'm an air-cooled VW guy from now until they outlaw gas. My next car is going to be a VW bus and it's going to be my primary transportation until I'm too old to work on cars anymore or it rusts into dust, which ever comes first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online