Thursday, April 20, 2006

Corona Wishes and Salt Water Dreams.

I'm not sure it's possible but, I've been more lazy than usual. I blame it on my vacation or at least I'm trying to. Have you ever had a block of time where you just threw up your hands and told yourself to give up? That's the kind of week I've been having. It hasn't been anything in particular that set it off. (OK maybe my little road trip) The past few days I've wanted nothing more than to flush my whole current life down the drain and start new as a semi-beach-bum. Thoughts of just scrapping everything and moving back to Florida to live in a crappy apartment somewhere near a beach seems to be reasonable. Somehow the thought of a simpler life with no real responsibility to anyone but myself sounds incredibly appealing. I was thinking of selling everything I own, buying a scooter, a pair of board shorts, some flip flops, and working as a waiter or bartender somewhere.

All these thoughts come to a screeching halt when I think of life in my sixties with no insurance or retirement. It's crazy how easy it seems for me to get caught up in the rat race and I don't even consider myself a participant. I guess having forethought is a bitch sometimes. So I try to and sit and watch as the machine keeps rolling but, like so many others, I get caught up in the fray as it rolls over me. Shit! Even Jimmy Buffet, Mr. Margaritaville himself, is caught up in his own conch empire and I'm sure dreams of simpler times. The other day I was in a shoe store , ironically looking for a pair of flip flops, and came across a pair with Margaritaville stamped on them. They were nice and I considered buying them until I saw the forty dollar price tag. WTF Jimmy? That's a lot of money to throw down on something I'm going to blow out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online