Saturday, May 06, 2006

It's all about the sleep

My career is still in a holding pattern. (see new years post) I need closure on this thing. I talked to the guys who are supposed to be helping me out yesterday and the outlook for me getting some well deserved retribution looks good. The problem is that the organization I work for is as bureaucratic as they get and there is no time frame as to when I might get to finish my battle.
My experience taught me to stand by my principals and not be afraid to vocalize. I already knew this lesson but put it on the shelf because I thought discretion would be the better part of valor. I came to this last job with the intention of keeping my head low and staying under the radar because I've had "issues" in the past when it comes to standing my ground at work especially. I thought this was the best course of action at the time but now that I look back I regret, more than anything else, not speaking up for myself when I had the opportunities. Regret is a tough nut to swallow and will keep you up all night at times. At any rate, I decided that I was going to get off my idealist horse because the job was the culmination of several years of work, and personal as well as financial sacrifice. When I landed the job, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't make it because I had never failed at anything (up to that point) I put my full effort into.

After talking to some of my coworkers about my demise, it turns out that their overall opinions of me were marginal at best. Their opinions probably had as much to do with my firing as anything else I suppose. When I was working , I never made an attempt to be overly social with my coworkers so it seems they developed the opinion that I was a prick. I can see it now that I look back. As a general rule, I just look like a pissed off person most of the time. I don't do it on purpose. So if you look pissed off and you're quiet, people naturally develop their own opinions. That's why they tell you to smile during job interviews. A smile is the only facial expression that can't be misinterpreted.

I never go looking for fights. I'm naturally non-confrontational. People that know me, really know me, will tell you that I'm the nicest, most laid back person you will ever meet. Maybe that's why I have problems with people feeling they can step on me. They must think "Glenn is as harmless guy." They must feel that they can get away with it. I guess I give than a false sense of power or something. What they don't realize is, when I reach a certain point, I crack like thunder. There is no warning. Just happy old me eating all the BS people throw at me until they push the wrong button or push me too far. Then I unload on them like a double barrel shotgun and they're stunned. I think it's blessing and a character flaw. There are some serious benefits and drawbacks to having a spine. So after this whole ordeal I've decided to go back to my old ways of standing up for myself when I feel people are pushing me too hard or being unreasonable no matter what the situation. At least I'll be able to live with myself and get more sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online