Saturday, October 14, 2006

That four letter word.

Lazy.

I was beginning to think that my single biggest flaw was being conquered. Now I can see that I'm relapsing back to my old ways and it's pissing me off. As I get older, I realize that my time is valuable to me. I hate it when I spend a day farting around, not accomplishing anything in particular. The problem is I don't feel bad as I'm wasting time. Only after the fact do I regret it. I've neglected my housework, the dune buggy, this blog, and the gym. I have had a busy couple weeks but I've also had plenty of down time as well.

I've narrowed my lazy issue to two key factors. One, I have trouble getting started. I procrastinate and put off until it's almost too late to do anything. Two, I can't seem to assign myself any deadlines. Unless I have some sort of outside pressure forcing me to get the job done. I just take my time. I always get things done in time but it affects the quality of the task that I'm doing. I had this problem in school too. I was one of those kids that would wait until the last minute to do any school work. I firmly believe that I would've been a straight "A" student if I wasn't lazy. School was easy for me when I applied myself.

The true scope of my lazy issue never really sank in until I went to college. After a rocky start, I was always on the dean's list. I sabotaged myself the first year and a half by trying to take on too much. I had two jobs and a full course load. My grades reflected my insane schedule. Once I discovered my happy medium, one job and two to three classes per semester, I saw my true academic potential.

So how can I change who I am? It seems that I don't have that little voice in my head that makes me get up off my ass. At least not until it's too late to get off my butt. I have to reprogram my brain. It's hard but I've had mild success thus far. I am, however, prone to relapse. Writing helps. Thank you precious reader(s) for that. Having you anonymous readers out there is keeping me in the game. I may beat, or at least tame, my problem yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online