Sunday, July 02, 2006

True rambling.

I'm in a funk today. Twenty hours of work isn't helping. I feel the need to shake things up in my life. I just don't know where to start or even if I should.

Lately I've been feeling the need to socialize and make new friends. I've been wanting to go and hang out in little bars and talk to new people. L. is an extreme homebody and, most of the time, I'm the same. Every once in a while I feel the need to stir things up. Sometimes I get that need fulfilled from playing bar poker. But lately I've been wanting more. I feel like I'm stuck on a merry go round. I go to work. I go home. I go to the gym. I work on my car. Every week. Over and over. I want more and it makes me feel like I'm just being spoiled.

I do get out. Monday, L. and I went and had brunch at a cool little cafe near little five points. We went to a museum and had some Tai food for dinner. It was good times. Tuesday we drove to the VW shop so I could pick up some parts. I asked her to come so she could keep me company on the ride because it's about an hour away. I got all the parts on my list and we had some dinner at a country buffet on the way back. I forgot how much I like chicken and dumplings. Wednesday I woke up late and worked on my car for a little while. My buddy T. called me and invited us to go play poker and have dinner at a local bar with he and his wife. L. and I had free food coupons we won the last time we played there so we couldn't refuse. Dos Equis Amber taste even better when they're free. They invited us to join them for a weekend in FL at the end of this month so I have that to look forward to. It was a great weekend for me. So why do I feel so restless this week?

I guess I go through phases. Maybe I'm a descendant of a nomadic group of people or something. I just want to get out and experience something new. This would explain my recent dreams. It could just be that summer is here and I want to make the most of it while it lasts.

Maybe I just need a good friend to hang with here. Don't get me wrong, I love L. and she IS my best friend but to expect her to fulfill my every social need is unrealistic. I'm not a typical guy that follows sports religiously or needs a guys night out every week. But I'm still a man and every once in a while I need to go out and tell fart jokes without estrogen hampering my manly nature. I guess moving to Georgia has left a rift in my social life. My best friend lives back in Florida and there isn't anyone here yet that has filled that void. I still talk to him every once in a while but it's not the same as having a bud to hang with. My friends here all work the same crazy hours that I do. Only they are on different rotations. Combine that with the fact that most people on the planet are sucking down brews in a bar right now while I work this slow mid shift, and I can see why I haven't filled my need for a new local best bud.

I suppose this restlessness could stem from my recent addiction to blogs. I keep reading about other peoples lives and end up jealous of the interesting lives they seem to be living. My brain tells me that most of the things I read aren't any more interesting than my own life but I still want to be these people sometimes. I read about single people dating and I feel that little pang of excitement that goes away after you are married. I remember what being single is like and it wasn't fun most of the time. The cool thing about it was the anticipation of the next significant other. The memories that haven't been made yet. That first nervous kiss. The excitement of discovering new things about them. These things are more fleeting the longer you've been married. Reading blogs has also triggered my wanderlust. I want to go exploring. I want to see new towns and different places. I've realized that it's important to me. I want to explore some of the places that I've never seen and revisit places I've been. It reminds me that life is too friggin short. I want to get around while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. My mother always wanted to make a round-the-country trip but she never had the chance. I want to make it a goal of my own to do it. When? I have no clue, but I do know that I need to make it happen sometime soon or I'll never get to it. I read something on a blog the other day that went something like this...

As we get older, our dreams stay the same, but the time we have to accomplish those dreams gets shorter every day. The sad part is when you come to the realization that you can't or are unable accomplish those dreams.

Profound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online