Saturday, March 17, 2007

Got the fever.

Spring is in the air. Georgia is truly a beautiful state. My home in the woods is wondrous and now that spring is upon us, I get to enjoy my covered seven foot wide porches on the front and rear of my home. I love to sit out in the mornings and listen to the trees grow and feel the breeze as it starts to stir with the warming sun. In the spring, as the foliage starts to breath new life, the smells come back to my nose that seemed to be on pause for the winter. Fresh cut grass, magnolia blossoms, and ozone just before a spring thunderstorm come to mind. Sitting on the back deck and looking over my railing I can start to see the green poking up though the old dead leaves of winter on the wooded landscape. I look to my left and see the neighbors house through the leafless trees and say a silent goodbye to the gray-blue siding. As the buds come back and eventually get replaced by the fresh lime colored leaves the house will disappear from view. Many times, before I know it, I'm cocooned in my summer rain forest again and my only visitors are silent fireflies floating in the early evening. Now I've learned to pay close attention to the rebirth so I don't miss it.

It's crazy how I have to put time aside to slow down. I get so caught up in my day to day life that I rarely stop to just breathe and be silent. My porch is a great place for reflection and I plan on enjoying the longer summer days on it this year. Just looking and inhaling deeply though my nose. It takes some tension out of my shoulders just thinking about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

Beautiful post. And, exactly the reason why I'm having a screened in porch built. I could sit for hours and watch nature, but nature is more interested in biting my ass.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online