Sunday, January 22, 2006

Quit whining ya friggin Geek!

Could it be I already have run out of blog ideas? Not a chance. I've been really busy this week and haven't made time to blog. I want to try to perk up my blog a little bit. I finished reading the last few posts and it seems to me that, if I were reading this as a stranger, I would think this Glenn dude is nothing but a whiner. From this post forward I'm going to try to be on both sides of the fence instead of just pointing out things the seem to piss me off.

Lets start with my favorite activity. Flying planes. There is nothing like it. The freedom you experience in a 3D environment is incredible. The views are always breathtaking. It puts things in perspective while you're up there. You remember how small you are and how big the world can be. It's a roller coaster where you control the direction of the track. Like those negative Gs? You know the feeling when you're in a roller coaster and the car goes over the top of that little crest in the track? In a plane just just push the stick forward and...Presto, negative Gs. Pull back on the stick and get shoved into your seat. Flying makes the trip as fun as the destination. See something you like? Just point the nose in that direction and check it out. Even a slow plane will cruise at 100 MPH or so. Try doing that down the interstate and see what happens. Just hanging out at any small airport is Zen for me. Watching the planes take off and land. Mentally judging the landings of the pilots as they perfect their skills. Talking to the old pilots who perpetually seem to hang around the lobbies of flying schools and maintenance shops. It never gets old hearing the old salts talking about barnstorming, crop dusting, war stories, or just lessons they learned through the years. They are the ones you need to listen to. There is a saying in aviation, "There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. But there are no old-bold pilots." There is much to learn from the old timers. Flying is a complete assault on the senses. The sights, smells, feelings, chatter on the radio, and the challenge of mastering a stiff cross-wind landing. Anyone who can drive a car can fly a plane. The skill in piloting comes from absorbing all the intricacies of the act. The learning process never stops. You learn from books, other pilots, and experience. It's one of those activities where you can never know too much and never be too humble. You learn to respect mother nature and her fickle moods because she is always in control. You're a guest in her playground and she can be as sweet or bitter as any woman. I can't wait until I take the airplane I build with my own two hands to the air for the first time. Just thinking about it fills my wanderlust and brings peace to my being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online