Saturday, January 28, 2006

MYOB

I'm not trying to bust on those of you who might actually like celebrity gossip. I have never been interested in the daily lives of those poor people. It may be that I did a lot of my growing up in LA where, yes, you do see the occasional celeb running around. I actually went to school with that chubby kid from Goonies. LOL it's sad I can't even remember his name. He was a super funny/cool dude to hang with who always wore crazy ball caps with clapping hands and weird faces on them. I never treated him like a celeb. He was just another kid I went to school with.

I was reminded of peoples need to see what the people on TV are doing in real life when I was in Tunica recently. There were a bunch of high rolling players in the same poker room I was in, and any time they were in a heated hand, play at my table stopped. I guess it's the glamour or the prestige that these rich/famous people have that draws us normal folk into their daily lives. When you put yourself in their shoes, it has to suck. L (my wife) and I were on the back porch smoking (yea we fell off the wagon) and discussing it the other night because she is a People/US reader.

"Don't you have to get a persons permission to publish their picture?" I ask because she used to take lots of pics in college.

"No." came the reply, "Once people become celebrities or politicians, their image becomes a matter of public interest." Now I can see the argument for the politician because they hold a public office but not for a person who just happens to make movies. The movie is for public consumption. Any other images are my personal life and none of the publics business.

I said "Imagine if we were a celebrity couple. We couldn't even sit here on the porch of our 3 acre property without some asshole snapping shots of us."

Every time you went to the grocery store to buy milk you would feel the need to get all glammed up. You would have to be careful in everything you did in order to avoid some paparazzi taking a picture of you and writing an article that put what you were doing out of context. Imagine if you were on the toilet in an airport and some moron was shoving his camera under the stall and firing off pics of you as you drop your bloomers. Driving down the street at night with flash bulbs going off in your face would be a challenge. I don't think I could take it. I would go ballistic at some point and hurt someone. It would suck to have all that wealth and feel like a prisoner because some freak wants to know what you had for breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online