Saturday, November 19, 2005

Yea, I may be a little weird

I don't know where my love affair with airplanes started, but it stuck. I have enjoyed riding in them ever since I was a kid. My parents were divorced when I was too young to remember them ever being together, so every summer my brother and I would go visit my father. He was a mechanic for one of the major airlines and would get passes for us to fly. That's where the roots of my airplane fetish came from. It took some time for those roots to take hold though. My personal belief is I always had the inclination to fix things as well as the joys of flight. The problem was that these traits I was endowed were never cultivated by my step father or my mom. Neither one of them could fix anything that required more that duct tape or chewing gum. As I grew up, I became the person that fixed things in my house because I had a true knack for how things worked. I could figure just about anything out without the instructions. Mechanical things that would confound other people seemed simple to me. As I became a teenager, I eventually discovered my talents and flight desires. My biggest obstacle was my lack of motivation. I was never a fantastic student because I never applied myself (I'm sure that shows in my writing). By the time I actually became a motivated human being, I had already joined the Army as an artillery man. The only reason I ever talked to a recruiter was he said I could be a helicopter pilot if my scores were high enough. They weren't. I missed by 2 points. My reasoning for joining anyway...There was probably no other way for me to make it through college without a little boost from Uncle Sam. As much as I HATED the Army, It was probably one of the smartest things I ever did. Almost everything I've accomplished I owe to that two years of punishment I endured. I have a degree in aviation, my pilots license, a beautiful home, and a good job. I'm a lucky geek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Kennedy Western University Online